top of page
On the Road
  • Do I need a driver's license?
    Yes! A valid NYS or out-of-state Driver License is required to participate in ALL Road Test Waiver programs: Beginner, Intermediate and 3 Wheel. ​
  • Do I need a motorcycle learner's permit?
    ​A NYS motorcycle learner's permit is not required to be eligible for registration or attendance for the BRC Beginner or the 3 Wheel BRC, but IS REQUIRED for the BRC2 Intermediate Course. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE a NYS motorcycle learners permit, you may take the Beginner or 3 Wheel Course. Upon successful completion you MUST obtain a permit at a DMV office before you can use the MSF Completion Card to be eligible to waive the NYS DMV Road Test and obtain your motorcycle license.
  • What if I do not complete the online course?
    You are required to take the online course prior to your class at MCC, and must bring your Certificate of Completion to the first day of your class.
  • Which eCourse should I take?
    Beginner Motorcycle- ePackage 1 3Wheel Beginner-ePackage 1 Intermediate Motorcycle-ePackage 2 Instructions on how to register for your eCourse will be emailed to you. If you do not receive an email, please use the contact information from your registration confirmation email.
  • Will I receive my motorcycle license at the end of the course?
    No. Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a NYS specific Motorcycle Safety Foundation Completion Card. You present this card, along with your current, valid motorcycle learner's permit and current, valid driver's license at DMV to quality for the Road Test Waiver of the NYS DMV Road Test, and have your license upgraded.
  • Can I miss any sessions?
    No, you cannot miss any sessions. You need to arrive on time and prepared. No refunds are issued after a course begins. ​ You must attend ALL of the class sessions or you will forfeit the entire course fee. There can be no switching of classes. Also, you must allow additional time in your schedule, typically evenings, for the possibility of a makeup session due to inclement weather conditions for motorcycle riding. Although classes will continue in light rain, there is the possibility that the RiderCoaches may need to reschedule for the safety of all at their discretion.
  • What if I do NOT pass the riding skill evaluation?
    If you do not pass the skill evaluation, you may schedule one retest within 30 days at no charge. ​
  • If I am counseled out of the course, or decide not to continue or am dismissed due to improper gear, can I receive a refund?
    No, there are no refunds once the course begins.
  • How do I become a RiderCoach?
    At a minimum, you must be at least 18 years old, have a motorcycle license, and have a good driving record. For other requirements and more information visit RiderCoaches – Motorcycle Safety Foundation ( or send us an email at
  • What is the Completion Card?
    Your NYS Specific MSF Completion Card (RTW Card) testifies to the fact that you have successfully completed the MSF’s Basic RiderCourse. It is a “controlled document” and you are responsible for it and need to ensure its security. Take the RTW card to a DMV office ASAP, even if you don’t have a motorcycle or no real plans to get one in the near future. IF YOU HAVE a NYS Motorcycle Learners permit, present the Card along with your current, valid NYS driver’s license and your current, valid NYS motorcycle permit. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE a NYS motorcycle learners permit, you MUST obtain one at a DMV office before you can use the RTW card to upgrade your license. You will receive your “Interim License” and they will return your Completion Card. Make sure you get it back; it is your only proof of success!! DMV will then mail your new license as is their policy. Until you upgrade your license, you are still a “permitted” rider!!!


bottom of page